Here at Bankruptcy Mastery, we try to identify and expand on the bankruptcy practice skills that you can’t read in a book.
It’s not a substitute for reading the law; it’s the add-on that helps you apply black letter law to multi-colored, real life situations.
This is your start page: links to material selected from the larger site for those very new to the practice. For discrete issues or more nuanced discussions, use the search feature or browse other categories for thoughts from a bankruptcy veteran.
- Alternative to Bankruptcy: Do Nothing Bankruptcy lawyers sometimes forget: not everyone worried about debt actually needs to file bankruptcy. The anxiety that brings someone to… Continue Reading
- Assets in Bankruptcy Pose Valuation Issues A bankruptcy lawyer seems to often have the unpleasant task of telling a debtor that their possessions have little value.… Continue Reading
- Bankruptcy Exemptions: 10 Ways to Deal with Excess Cash Bankruptcy lawyers occasionally are confronted with the client with more cash, or other marketable assets, worth more than the available… Continue Reading
- Bankruptcy’s 3 Year Rule for Taxes Taxes are dischargeable in bankruptcy once they meet the 3 year rule. Don't get swept away on April 16th and… Continue Reading
- Bankruptcy Schedules Call For Payoff Balance Bankruptcy debtors hear something different when their lawyer asks, "What do you owe on your mortgage". It's as though they… Continue Reading
- 6 Basic Points About Tax Liens in Bankruptcy Everywhere I've looked this week, new bankruptcy lawyers are struggling with client tax liens. Here's my list of basics you… Continue Reading
- Bankruptcy & Divorce: Property Settlements One change brought by BAPCPA made the choice of chapter in bankruptcy much clearer: the amendment of §523(a)(15). Read with §523(a)(5),… Continue Reading
- What To Say When You Have No Answer What do you do when you don't know the answer to a bankruptcy client's questions? After all, you're a bankruptcy… Continue Reading
- Charting The Course of A Case Planning the bankruptcy often determines whether the case succeeds or fails. To obtain good results for a bankruptcy client, sometimes… Continue Reading
- What Goes Into The Liquidation Analysis The liquidation analysis is central to every form of consumer bankruptcy. Yet too many attorneys think the formula is Assets… Continue Reading