Here at Bankruptcy Mastery, we try to identify and expand on the bankruptcy practice skills that you can’t read in a book.
It’s not a substitute for reading the law; it’s the add-on that helps you apply black letter law to multi-colored, real life situations.
This is your start page: links to material selected from the larger site for those very new to the practice. For discrete issues or more nuanced discussions, use the search feature or browse other categories for thoughts from a bankruptcy veteran.
- Bankruptcy Cases Not Predictably Simple I've been aghast at the willingness of lawyers brand new to bankruptcy practice to take on cases and issues far… Continue Reading
- Track Down All The Client’s Creditors While a new client may seek out a bankruptcy lawyer when they are served with a lawsuit, they may overlook… Continue Reading
- Exemptions & Property of the Estate Sometimes, as an inexperienced bankruptcy lawyer, it's hard to get your head around the idea that your client can have… Continue Reading
- Answer to Every Question Starts in the Code If Jews, Muslims, and Christians are People of the Book, we, as bankruptcy lawyers, are, or ought to be, People… Continue Reading
- Bankruptcy Schedules Look Forward and Backward New bankruptcy lawyers are often frustrated by the internal inconsistencies required by the "reformed" Bankruptcy Code. Whether it's rational or… Continue Reading
- Fixing the Omission from the Schedules Twice yesterday new bankruptcy practitioners asked about how to deal with debts or assets not listed in the debtor's original… Continue Reading
- Getting the Most from the Means Test When the means test look back period for a well paid individual includes the end of the year, a bankruptcy… Continue Reading
- When To File Bankruptcy When to file bankruptcy turns out to be just as important as whether to file. I saw it playing out… Continue Reading
- Exemption Choices for the Recently Mobile Old and new consumer bankruptcy lawyers have a treasure in John Bates' masterpiece on the exemption laws of each state… Continue Reading
- Beware the Emergency Bankruptcy Filing Real danger for client and lawyer lurks in the emergency bankruptcy petition: File without all the information about the client's… Continue Reading